Lost & Found
HAVE YOU LOST A PET OR FOUND A STRAY PET?
If you have lost your pet or found a stray animal, please call:
- City of Adel (515-993-4525)
- City of Dallas Center (515-993-4567)
- City of De Soto (515-834-2233)
- City of Waukee (515-978-7979)
- City of West Des Moines (515-222-3321)
- Out of City Limits or After hours Dallas County Dispatch (515-993-4567)
ANIMAL CONTROL SERVICES
AHeinz57 is partnering with the Cities of Adel, Dallas Center, De Soto, and Waukee to take in stray animals and work to reunite pets with their owners as quickly as possible.
When an animal is brought to us, we will scan it for a microchip and immediately call the owner if chipped. If the animal is not chipped, we will post a photo on our main Facebook page and our AHeinz57 Missing Mutts Facebook page or AHeinz57 Lost Cats page. We will also post them on Petco Love Lost national database.
Per applicable municipal codes, a lost animal will be held for:
- Adel – 7 days
- Dallas Center – 7 days
- De Soto – 7 days
- Waukee – 10 days
- West Des Moines – 7 days
At the end of the stray hold period, unclaimed animals will be placed for adoption through AHeinz57 Pet Rescue & Transport.
HOW DO I RECLAIM MY PET?
Owners should call 515-834-2187 to schedule an appointment to come to the AHeinz57 facility, located at 4002 Ash Street, De Soto, IA 50069, to reclaim the pet. Appointments may be scheduled weekdays from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. or on Saturday/Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
You will be required to show proof of current rabies vaccination for your pet at the time of reclaim, or you will be required to pay $25.00 for our vet to vaccinate your pet.
If your pet was picked up in Adel or Dallas Center, you must go to the appropriate city hall to pay that city’s animal at large fee and bring your receipt/release to us.
If your pet was picked up in Waukee, please follow the instructions under “Missing a Pet?” on the City of Waukee’s website
If your pet is not spayed or neutered, we will alter your pet after the applicable stray hold expires and place them for adoption. We do offer low cost spay/neuter services if you would like your pet altered.
Fee Schedule for Reclaiming Pets:
- Impound fee: $50 for the first impound, $75 for the second impound, $100 for the third and subsequent impounds. (See city ordinances for at large animal fees for Adel, Dallas Center and Waukee.)
- TRIP fee: If we are called out to catch a dog in the counties that do not contract with us, we will charge a $50 trip fee.
- $25.00 Rabies vaccine (if needed)
- $15.00 Other Vaccinations (upon owner request)
- $10.00 Frontline (mandatory if fleas are identified)
- $35.00 Heartworm test and one monthly prevention (upon owner request)
- $150.00 Spay / $100.00 Neuter (upon owner request or if reclaim occurs after stray hold expires)
- $15.00 Stray hold fee per day (mandatory)
- If owner is contacted and chooses not to reclaim same day, a $30/day boarding fee will be charged.)
- $20.00 Microchip fee (upon owner request)
- $7.50 Processing fee (mandatory)
WHY DO YOU CHARGE FEES?
When your pet is found and brought to AHeinz57, they are cared for in a clean, temperature-controlled building with lights, beds and blankets. Your pet is fed and provided with fresh water. They are cared for by paid staff and a licensed veterinarian if needed. Most times, law enforcement officers call on us to pick up the cat or dog from the city they were found in. We provide that transportation in clean vehicles, equipped with clean crates with clean bedding. None of this is free for AHeinz57 or the law enforcement entities that took the time to make sure your pet is safe. In order for us to be there for you and your pets, we have to charge these very minimal fees that actually don’t even cover the cost of care provided. We appreciate your understanding.